We all know how good a massage can feel, no matter if you are in Vienna or the outskirts of Thailand. After a long day of walking around Vienna, your feet and muscles are bound to be sore. A massage can help relieve that pain and tension, leaving you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. From Thai Massage to Classic massages, Vienna has much to offer.
Table of Contents
- Find the right massage for your needs
- How to prepare for a massage
- Choose a Vienna massage studio based on your preferences
Find the right massage for your needs
There are many kinds of massage studios in Vienna that offer different types of massages. If you’re not sure what kind of massage you want, it’s best to research the different types and find one that suits your needs.
- Thai Massage: A traditional Thai massage in Vienna uses a combination of pressure points, stretching, and yoga-like movements to relieve pain and improve flexibility.
- Swedish Massage: The most common type of massage, Swedish massage uses long, flowing strokes to promote relaxation and improve circulation.
- Deep Tissue Massage: A more intense type of massage, deep tissue massage is used to target specific areas of tension and pain.
- Hot Stone Massage: A hot stone massage uses heated stones to relax muscles and improve circulation.
- Reflexology: Reflexology is a type of massage that focuses on specific pressure points in the hands, feet, and ears to promote relaxation and healing in other parts of the body.
- Sports Massage: A sports massage is a type of massage that is designed to improve athletic performance and relieve pain from exercise or injury.
- Lomi Lomi Nui: A traditional Hawaiian massage, Lomi Lomi Nui uses long, flowing strokes with the forearms and elbows to promote relaxation (and a LOT of oil).
Interesting Vienna Massages
- Cupping (Schröpfen): Schröpfen is a traditional Austrian massage that uses cups to create suction on the skin.
- Lymph Drainage Massage: Lymph Drainage (German: Lymphdrainage) is a type of massage that helps to improve the lymphatic system and reduce swelling.
- Kräuterstempelmassage: A Kräuterstempelmassage is a type of massage that uses warmed, scented herbs to soothe muscles and promote relaxation.
- Dorn und Breuss: Dorn und Breuss works directly on the spine. It is a gentle, non-invasive treatment that is said to be helpful for back pain.
- Osteopathie: Osteopathie is a type of alternative medicine that focuses on the treatment of the musculoskeletal system.
How to prepare for a massage
- Hydrate: Make sure to drink plenty of water before your massage to help your muscles relax.
- Eat light: Eating a big meal right before a massage can make you feel uncomfortable. Instead, eat a light snack or meal beforehand.
- Arrive early: It’s important to arrive on time for your massage, but you may want to arrive 10-15 minutes early to fill out paperwork and get settled in.
- Shower: If you have time, take a shower before your massage to help your muscles relax… and to spare your masseur from the smell of your day.
- Unwind an hour before your massage: Try to avoid anything that will cause you to stress in the hour leading up to your massage. This means no work, no news, and no social media.
- Turn off your phone: When you’re ready to truly relax, turn off your phone and any other electronics. This will help you focus on the massage and avoid any distractions.
Choose a Vienna massage studio based on your preferences
Once you’ve decided what type of massage you want, you can start looking for a studio that offers that specific type of massage. You may also want to consider other factors such as price, location, and atmosphere.
Asiawan – Thai Massage Vienna
- Price Range (1h): €65-€100
- Grünangergasse 8, 1010 Wien
- Type: Thai and Aroma Massages of many different kinds
The team is incredibly friendly and the massage studio has a high-end relaxing atmosphere. It is located in a scenic old Austrian cellar, which gives it an incredible cosy feeling. The couple’s massages and traditional Thai massages are very popular but in our opinion, the aroma massage with lemongrass oil is the best choice!
- Price Range (1h): €65-€100
- Siebensterngasse 4, 1070
- Type: Classic and Austrian Massages
Stressdeponie has a huge selection of massages on offer, including Korean, and Chinese but also classic Austrian massages. If you feel overwhelmed by the huge selection, the lovely personnel working there will be more than happy to help you choose the perfect massage for your needs!
Massage-Fachinstitut Louis Braille Haus
- Price Range (1h): €50
- Hägelingasse 4-6, 1140
- Type: Classic Massages
With 19 blind and visually impaired masseurs, Massage-Fachinstitut Louis Braille Haus is one of Vienna’s most unique massage studios. Since 1993, the institute has been offering “massages by the best hands” to those in need of relaxation and de-stressing. The team is incredibly professional and the treatments are very reasonably priced. We highly recommend the classic full-body massage!
THE GOLDEN TREE Spa – Marriott
- Price Range (1h): €110-€500
- Johannesgasse 23, 1030 / Parkring 2a, 1010
- Type: Aroma and Beauty Massages
A very exclusive location is the Marriott hotel at Parkring. The GOLDEN TREE Spa on the 9th floor offers an incredible view of the city. For your relaxation, you can choose between a wide range of massages, such as the “Viennese Dream Massage” or the “Time Out Massage”. The 24 Karat Gold Massage is of course the most exclusive (and expensive) option! If you want to pamper yourself, this is the perfect choice.
Kosmetikinstitut Centella Wien
- Price Range (1h): €60-€75
- Seilergasse 4/2, 1010
- Type: Beauty and Classic Massages
Centella is a beauty spa with focus on cosmetics, but the massages are equally exciting. To see the proper selection of Massages you have to go to https://centellasofrispa.at/leinstungen/color-energy-korperbehandlungen/ and scroll a bit until you find the proper offers. But going there is totally worth it!
- Price Range (1h): €30-€90
- Landstraßer Hauptstraße 14-16, 1030
- Type: Classic, Beauty and Schröpfing
Miavia is a young, modern massage studio with very fair prices. You can choose between classic Swedish massages, beauty treatments such as “bust firming massages” or the slightly more unusual Schröpfing massage (a traditional Chinese cupping therapy). The team is very friendly and the atmosphere in the studio is very relaxing.
3Sarana – Authentic Thai Massage Vienna
- Price Range (1h): €60
- Kaiserstraße 12/6, 1070
- Type: Thai
(Almost) nothing beats an authentic Thai massage to get rid of all the stress that has built up in your body. If you are looking for a truly relaxing experience, we highly recommend 3Sarana! The team is amazing and the prices are more than reasonable. Make sure to book an appointment in advance, as it can get quite busy!
As you can see, Vienna has a lot to offer when it comes to massages! Whether you are looking for a traditional Austrian massage, a Thai massage or something more unique, you are sure to find the perfect studio for you. So what are you waiting for?