Anni’s Bröselei bakes delicious vegan and gluten-free dishes made with love
As Viennese cuisine is meat-heavy, when chef Anni Huber and her marketing expert Oli Schmidt started their café, Anni’s Bröselei (crumbery), they weren’t sure whether locals would embrace their concept of vegan, gluten-free eating. The fear was unfounded: Near the university of Vienna and the American Embassy, the adorable German couple serves healthy lunches to a packed house every day. In fact, 80 percent of their guests aren’t even vegan: “They stop by and are thankful for nice and freshly made food.”
The couple creates vegan versions of popular dishes for their weekly menus, earning their customers’ affection. Oli notes, however, that he can’t even call their guests customers: Their cozy, dog-friendly café is tiny and any patrons quickly become friends, thanks in part to their four-legged team member Louis, head of customer relations.
Anni has always been a vegetarian, but went vegan after studying sustainable nutrition. Together with Oli, her partner of seven years, they decided to do their part to safeguard the environment. Anni creates all dishes herself; a former blogger, she draws on her own collection of recipes and gets further inspiration from Pinterest and Instagram.
In addition to the weekly vegan menu with gluten-free options, Anni’s Bröselei serves English-style afternoon tea, a tradition the couple picked up during their four years in the UK: It comes with a set of sandwiches, cakes, muffins and scones, served on a lovely étagère. But their biggest attraction is their handmade cakes, especially Anni’s spongy banana, peanut and chocolate. “We weren’t quite sure, if we actually want to give you the correct recipe,” laughs Oli as I stuffed my face.
© Mascha Verkooijen
Banana, Peanut & Chocolate Cake
Makes 8 Small Pieces
450g gluten-free flour
225g birch sugar
45g cocoa powder
45g baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. soda
1 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum
3 tsp. bourbon vanilla
300 ml rapeseed oil
500 ml of cashew- or
150 ml mineral water
1.5 tsp. apple cider vinegar
4.5 tbsp. applesauce
3 tbsp. margarine
3 tbsp. powdered sugar
6 tbsp. peanut butter
300 ml vegan cream
2 tbsp. apricot jam
2 tbsp. chocolate flakes
2 tbsp. salted peanuts
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into a large bowl.
3. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix.
4. Add the moist ingredients and stir well.
5. Pour the dough into the two pans and place in your oven’s middle rack. Bake for 45 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the peanut cream icing: Mix the margarine with the powdered sugar, add peanut butter and cream and whip for 2 minutes.
7. Once the layers are baked, let them cool off, then spread bottom layer with apricot jam and top with sliced banana.
8. Now pour 1/3 of the icing on the banana layer and put the second layer on top.
9. Spread the rest of the icing on top and around the cake. Sprinkle with chocolate flakes and salted peanuts. And enjoy!
9., Strudlhofgasse 1 • 0680 1491 695 • Mon-Fri 11:30-17:00 • annis-broeselei.com