YouTube Deletes Alt-Right Austrian Channel

YouTube cracks down on controversial and racist videos, including from Identitäre Bewegung’s (Identitarian Movement) Martin Sellner.

Political activist and alt-right supporter Martin Sellner announced last week on Wednesday that his YouTube channel was deleted by Google because he had violated their terms and agreements. Having amassed over 100,000 subscribers, his channel was popular among members of the far-right in Austria and was his main channel of communication with his alt-right supporters – who form more of a loosely associated online community than a political movement, and who are generally associated with xenophobic, white supremacist, white nationalist ideas.

But by Tuesday, August 27, Sellner had already begun deleting older videos or setting them on private to avoid deletion – YouTube had started a campaign to shut down those they deemed not “viewer friendly” or “controversial”.

“In the last couple of days there has been a massive wave of bans and age restrictions everywhere. Old videos are a huge risk,” said Sellner in an update video, explaining the deletions to his fans, “I have older political videos that I really don’t want to provoke them [YouTube] with. I am legally not allowed to talk about it right now.”

“We sometimes make a wrong decision”

Despite Sellner’s efforts, on Wednesday, August 28, his YouTube account was shut down. But this ban was short-lived – by the next day, it was back up, accompanied by a celebratory video in which Sellner thanked his supporters and especially his lawyer, who had intervened. What was clear is that YouTube had changed their mind: “Because of the sheer amount of videos on YouTube we sometimes make the wrong decision,” the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine quoted aYouTube spokesperson as saying. “When we are made aware that we have wrongfully suspended a video or channel, we react swiftly to make sure it is restored again.” Less clear is what Sellner’s lawyer said that provoked the change of heart.

YouTube has been under immense pressure from investors and sponsors to remove any content creators that might be deemed conspiracy theorists. Big brands pay millions for advertising, and don’t want their ads to be played before these kinds of videos. Since May, Google, Facebook and Twitter have been actively cutting out views that could be considered “hate speech” or disinformation.

Last week Alex Jones (notorious founder of the Info Wars channel) was also deleted once again after returning from a previous 2018 ban – which has led some to question YouTube’s consistency. In June, YouTube posted a blog post titled “Our ongoing work to tackle hate” where they reveal how they want to take their old video policies even further. Although YouTube guidelines are very clear about what they do not want to see uploaded on their site, specifically, videos claiming that one race is superior to another or any kind of discrimination based on age, gender, race, class, religion or sexual orientation, the margins keep being narrowed. The company explicitly mentions “videos that promote or glorify Nazi ideology, which is inherently discriminatory” – perhaps the reason Sellner was banned in the first place.

Despite his YouTube rehabilitation, Martin Sellner remains notorious: This March, after the Christchurch mosque shooting in New Zealand, it was revealed that the perpetrator had donated a considerable amount of money to Sellner and his political organization the Identitäre Bewegung Österreich (Identitarian Movement of Austria, IBÖ), making Sellner a target for international investigators. For now, however, he’s still on YouTube.

Emre Günes
Emre Günes is Viennese born and raised with Turkish roots. After finishing his international school he got a knack for writing in English and studied Journalism at the University of Westminster in London. He previously interned at a couple of import/export companies as a teen and then even at the Radio Station of the Austrian National Broadcaster (ORF) until completing his military service in 2018. He is now an intern and writes for Metropole while studying his masters for English Linguistics.

Help us help you

“Strong media and independent journalism are built on the shoulders of subscribers. Your support means the world to us.

Benjamin Wolf
COO & Managing Editor

The coronavirus outbreak affects and challenges your life in big and small ways. Metropole is here for you and we are proud to be your news source during this crisis.

But just as the coronavirus has increased the need for independent journalism, it has also undercut a major revenue source of media companies, ours included – advertising.

We need your support to keep it up – donate or subscribe and #helpushelpyou!

Support Metropole!


 

RECENT Articles

Coronavirus in Austria & Vienna | Virologist Warns Country Is “Losing Contr...

The coronavirus has arrived in Austria. Here’s all you need to know about current measures, including where to get help, information and tips – updated regularly.

New COVID-19 Measures – What Will Change

The federal government has once again tightened rules for restaurants and events. Here’s what it means for Vienna.

Enforcement of Mask Rules by U-Bahn Security Triggers Accusations of Racism

A routine intervention by Wiener Linien staff escalated into alleged use of excessive force; feelings run high while body-cam evidence may prove critical.

How Coronavirus Is Affecting Austria’s Neighbors

Here’s how European countries are managing the second wave of COVID-19 – including statistics, measures and an analysis of the current situation.

Metropole’s 10 Films to Watch At the Viennale 2020

Austria’s premier film festival enters the pandemic age with extra screens and a great selection of world cinema.

Hold the Line

With cases skyrocketing again in Europe, it is time to remember the advice a public health expert gave us in April: The virus is unforgiving to unwise choices.
 

METROPOLE NEWSLETTER

Join over 5,000 Metropolitans, who already get monthly news updates and event invitations.

X
X
X